Monday, March 12, 2007

The lowdown on the ear problem....

OK - I have not had much more than a minute to describe what went on with my ear appointment. Life has been going full blast at home and at work. Finally, tonight the house is quiet and today's tasks are complete.

As you remember I was in such excruciating pain with my ear last weekend that I landed in the ER at Mercy Hospital spending a good portion of a day there. I was assuming I had the typical ear infection that I often get which last time I let go my eardrum broke. Not good. So I was informed by the ER doctor that my ear was not infected, but I had a 'growth' on my eardrum. I couldn't believe the high level of pain that I was in. I described it to the doctor as "feeling like I was having labor pains in my ear". Yep, that bad. So home with pain killers and a note to see the ear dr. Monday (which I put off until Thursday).

Anyway, the 'growth' on my eardrum turned out to be a deformity caused by all of the previous ear infections and broken drum. My eardrum is also what the doctor described as 'flacid'. Meaning instead of nice and tight like it should be it is stretched out like a piece of loose flappy skin. Yeah, nice. Therefore instead of being tight and allowing sound to bounce off of it properly it just sort of lays on top of the three little ear bones not allowing me to hear very good out of it. Ok that is problem #1.

Problem #2 - I have Eustachian tube dysfunction which doesn't allow the air flow to move properly in and out of my ear. This is also what contributes to a lot of my ear and sinus infections. Lovely.

Problem #3 - My allergies. I do not like to take medicine. Therefore, I suffer with allergies and only take medicine when it becomes unbearably uncomfortable. So, the allergies create lots of snot and it doesn't drain properly, etc because of the ear and Eustachian tube problems. So he demanded that I see the allergist and get that under control. Beautiful.

And for the reason my ear hurt. Problem #4 - Temporomadibular Joint Disorder. Which has absolutely nothing to do with my ear, but the pain from this is felt mainly in the ear. It actually is a problem in my jaw. Specifically in the joint where the upper and lower jaws are connected (which happens to be located directly behind the ear). It is described as being arthritis in the jaw joint. Dr. Simpson said that it is the worst pain some people will ever experience. And let me tell you, it ranks right up there with labor! This is something that will never go away as the joint is damaged. At times it will become inflamed and create the severe pain that I experienced last weekend. So, treatment is this: I have to monitor the things that set it off. Take 3 daily doses of ibuprofin to keep the swelling and inflamation at a minimum. Ice, heat and soft foods during flare-ups. A dental device to keep me from clenching my jaw at night. And narcotics for really bad episodes.

So, all of this for me, the one who doesn't like to go to the doctor or take any medicine. And all of these medical issues. So far, I haven't made the appointment with the allergist. I haven't made an appointment to get fitted my dental device. I haven't been taking my ibuprofin regularly, maybe irregularly, but definately not regularly. I've got to get on the ball here. This all sucks, but could be worse. I will live. It will be painful at times, but I will live.

Sorry for the long complicated medical lesson tonight, but it is what it is.

Of course, a few of my loving family members and friends have suggested that maybe, just maybe, this has been caused by excessive talking. Me? nope, don't think so :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That doesnt sound fun at all!!!
Good luck with everything.

Anonymous said...

ugh...that sucks heather. i'm so sorry. too bad you can't get an epidural for the ear labor!! :)

now get those appointments made today!