Saturday, January 03, 2009

Happy Birthday Colby!

It was New Year's Day 1999. I was not quite 34 weeks pregnant with our first child. Greg was working until 11pm. I shopped all day with my mom stocking up for the BIG snow storm that was approaching. We were prepared to be snowed in with plenty of food, water and movies. I waited up for Greg to get home so we could watch a movie. Just as we sat down and started it I felt this little pop and a gush. I thought, 'oh crap, I just peed my pants!'. You know, one of those glorious very pregnant moments. I realized that my water had just broke. Snowed in or not, this baby was coming...way too early. The 18 inches of predicted snow was here and coming down full force. About 1am we took off for Iowa City. The roads were terrible and it took us about 1 1/2 hours to get 17 miles. I won't go into all of the scary details of the next 12 hours, but when it was all said and done we were presented with a tiny baby girl who was quickly whisked off to NICU. One week later we were both home. And now, ten years later she is a beautiful young lady who is growing up way too quickly for this mom and dad....

1 comment:

Cassie said...

happy birthday colby!!!!
WOW! 10!