Monday, February 27, 2006

When No One's Looking...

Every once in awhile, when I have run out of things to read at home, I will search through some old books and pick one up that I have already read. In doing that, I usually find that I have forgotten what I had read or can pick up on new things that maybe I had skimmed over the first time I read it. Anyway, this week I started reading a book that we read in a bible study about 7 years ago called, "Who You Are When No One's Looking", by Bill Hybels.

It has caused me to do a little self introspection and frankly I don't like what I see. So, who am I when no one is looking? That question has been valuable in that it has encouraged me to want to be a better mom, a better wife, a better daughter, a better sister and better in all of the various roles that I play. I have so many deficiencies and during my present reading, they have all surfaced in my mind whether I wanted them to or not.

Forgiveness seems to be the prevailing theme in all that I do lately. Forgiveness was the subject at church and a couple of dear friends wrote about their own dealings with forgiveness. Now tonight I am remembering that not only do I need to forgive and love my enemies, but I need to forgive myself for all my shortcomings. And that is hard to do.

Praying for a changed heart and may I continually strive to be more like Jesus in all that I do. Even when "no one's looking"......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that you are a little hard on yourself but it never hurts to back up and evaluate yourself.

jody said...

Who we are in the dark is who we are. A nice reminder. thanks.