Sunday, April 23, 2006

A better day

A little boy with a nap, mom gets a little sun, a great church service--this combo has made for a better day today.

The message today was about answered/unanswered prayer. I won't be able to do it justice here, but just as we often have to tell our own children "no" for their own good, our heavenly Father also has to tell us "no". Just as we often tell our children "no" even though we have the means to provide what they ask for, God also tells us "no" even though he has the means to provide. He is wise, He knows best and we just have to trust in that.

There are so many situations that I still don't understand. How can our loving God not answer prayer when parents are praying for Him to heal their young child of a life-threatening disease? Begging for him to take away their child's pain and suffering and allow them to live a full life free of disease. How can He not answer this? Some things I just don't get. I know that I can't see the "big picture", but it would just seem logical to me.

And I guess that is why He is God and I am not.....learning today to be thankful for answered AND unanswered prayer and trusting that every outcome is for the best. Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay- taking a stab at reinterating a point from the sermon I heard today that may fit here. Our sermon was about keeping your eyes on the unseen, a message from Paul in II Chor. The pastor gave some great examples about how life is full of suffering, and beyond our understanding. His point was that Paul had endured much suffering ( beatings, hunger, whipings, and persecution), but chose to identify it as "momentary" in comparison to the reward of God's glory for eternity. It made me think of all the times that I question WHY prayer is unheard-unanswered, and how much should any one person have to take? Life seems so long now, but the suffering we endure here is like a blink of the eye in the big scheme of things. Gee maybe this should have just been my blog post, not a hijack of yours (sorry)

jody said...

thanks for sharing both of you!
Plus, that picture is beautiful, Heather!
Looks like he was being very cooperative.

Cassie said...

i, too, was convicted at church this morning...as i am 90 percent of the time. (the other 10 percent i'm am just too busy chasing crayons down the aisle and miss the whole point, or i would be convicted then, too!) thanks to both of you. i think you did it justice heather....

Heather said...

Thanks Theresa! Also, what we consider as "suffering" here is nothing compared to the suffering that Jesus endured for us. And for that we have been given the hope of heaven and the promise of a beautiful and perfect eternal life. How shameful of me that I should complain about earthly suffering. It is hard to remember that this life is just "momentary" compared to what is yet to come. Thanks for the reminder.

I am remembering again today that every answer/unanswered prayer has been Perfectly planned out for us. And He knows far better how to distinguish my wants from my needs. Who am I to ever question that??!!

Thanks Theresa for making me think that through a little better!