Saturday, June 03, 2006

So Long, Self

I had been planning on and looking forward to just a little "me" time today. It quickly became very clear that today wasn't meant to be about me AT ALL!

First I went to pick up my new car. I had just been given a little crash course on all of the features and gadgets etc. and I was ready for takeoff. The salesman was switching my license plates over and as he was screwing them into my car he somehow slipped and put a big chip in it.

The next stop was at Starbucks. I couldn't wait to get in the car, sip my favorite drink, listen to my CD's (REALLY loud) and cruise home in my new ride. I was headed down River Drive in Davenport during really busy noon traffic, my lid popped off my scalding hot drink, I hit a big bump in the road and I (not to mention my car) was completely drenched from top to bottom with sticky, wet, and very hot Chai Latte. So my new car was now chipped and covered in a sticky mess and I wasn't even 4 miles from the dealership. I pulled into a gas station went in to get some wet paper towels and attempt to clean up this mess. Everyone was probably wondering what happened as it truly looked like I had peed my pants.

At this point I was feeling really guilty for being so selfish and materialistic. I was reminded of a song, So Long Self by the Newsboys (I think?). Today was not about me, it never was supposed to be, and I never should have tried to make it such. I was reminded of that many times.

Despite my selfish couple of hours Saturday morning, I was still very consumed with thoughts of Erika, Traci, Rich and their families. That tiny little thing is still fighting hard. Over the course of the weekend there were times that I almost felt guilty as I enjoyed my family while Traci sits at her daughter's side wondering if she is going to make it hour by hour. I can't even begin to grasp what it would be like to be walking in their shoes. Even Greg is expressing great concern for them as I found that he was checking their updates regularly last night and today. He even went as far as to tell me to look into getting our kids registered as organ donors. Not sure how that would works with kids--haven't looked into it yet.

Anyway, it will be a long time before I dare schedule a "me" day again and please take some time out to pray for the Maynard family.

No comments: