Saturday, January 05, 2008

Mission Organization

Since I doubt that the people from HGTV's show "Mission Organization" are going to show up at my house anytime soon, I guess I will have to rely on my organizational skills to get things in shape around here. I am pretty good about keep most things under control, but it seems that Colby's spaces have gotten a little out of my reach. Therefore, I told Colby that tomorrow has been officially declared 'Organize Colby's Stuff Day'. We will sort, get rid of and organize all of her spaces throughout the house. She tends to be a little packrattish so we will see what we can talk her into getting rid of. A few months ago she broke her favorite flip-flops, but insisted on keeping them because they were her favorite ones. Never mind the fact that they aren't wearable anymore. See what I am up against here??? I am always ready to purge, purge, purge. So the with both kids birthdays and Christmas happening over the last 6 weeks, I am ready to get rid of some stuff. I cringe every time something 'new' makes it's way into the house. My new motto is "if we don't NEED it, we can't have it". Now, we will just see how far I get with all the too small clothes, clothes that don't ever get worn, junky trinkets and Happy Meal toys that I plan to rid of tomorrow :)

Hopefully, we will get our house sold before long. Therefore, if it is not worth my time to pack it, haul it to our new house, unpack it and find a place for it, then it likely will not go with us. Simplicity is going to be a key word throughout this move. I am SOOO ready to downsize our 'stuff'. Not just the kids' stuff, but even my stuff. A few simple, favorite pieces will make their way into our new decor, but the clutter, the extra stuff, will not. I can't wait!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya. I tried (unsuccessfully) to scale down the doll closet this morning. They really want to keep all 9 (gasp) doll strollers! Some of them have seen better days, but I am obviously going to have to wait until they go back to school tomorrow to get any real purging done.