Friday, January 11, 2008

Surviving Prosperity....

Lately my focus has not been on what we don't have, but on the 'too much' that we have. We have too much, we expect too much, we want too much, too much, too much, too much. And I am, we are, sooo guilty. Throughout the last few months I have often felt myself wanting to scream "STOP THE MADNESS". I want to downsize, I want to simplify. I want to organize. I want to focus on relationships, interactions and community not stuff or things. I want to be truly happy with little. I want to give and not receive. Today while doing some reading on my lunch hour I read this...

The human race has had long experience and a fine tradition in surviving adversity. But we now face a task for which we have little experience: the task of surviving prosperity. Alan Gregg

Surviving prosperity, not as easy as it may seem on the surface. The depths of prosperity can be daunting and dangerous.

Also came across this....

The Achilles' heel of consumer society is that is hasn't made us as happy as it promised it would. Although Americans have tripled their prosperity since the mid-1950's, the percentage who say they-re "very satisfied" with their lives has declined. When you think about it, this is pretty sad, considering the unbelievable amount of resources and energy that we have consumed and waste we have produced in the last fifty years. We've pursued the American Dream to no real apparent end. Bill McKibbin

I am not looking for debate. I am not looking for controversy. I do know, however, that consumerism has gotten the best of me and that I am ready to start making a change in the way I live. I am VERY guilty. And I know I am. I want to stick to the basics. It may be small changes, baby steps. I will work hard at defining and differentiating the fine line betweeen 'want' and 'need'. I will fail miserably at times. But, I will try. And I hope that my eyes are opened to a whole new view. One that I don't even know yet.

No comments: