Wednesday, February 13, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring.....

Well a few posts ago I asked "what next?". Today I got my answer: a broken leg....yep, mine. It's been broken for six days now (from when I fell trying to push my car out of a snow bank in the driveway). The pain I experienced at the moment was like nothing I had ever experienced. I had pains shooting everywhere and things were snap, crackling and popping. But, I hopped in the car, drove to work and since then have hobbled around on it. Every muscle, tendon and ligament seemed to be sore along with a VERY tender spot right below my knee.

Today however the swelling was pretty severe all the way from my knee to my toes. Yes, I have a 'cankle'. My leg is the same size all the way down. Yes, very attractive :) So I thought I would have the doc. take a look. Yep, broken. I broke my fibula right below the knee. Ironically, right where I hit when I went down and right where it still hurts today. Hmmm...now isn't that odd :)

The only time it hurt REALLY bad was going up and down stairs and getting in and out of the car. But, other than that I could readily handle the pain so I didn't think it could be too bad.

So anyway, the injury occured six days ago so some healing has taken place already, they said if I would wear an immobilizer and use crutches 24/7 that they will let me do that for another 7 days. Then I will go in for new xrays. If it seems to be healing properly I will continue to wear the immobilizer until it is completely healed. If not, they will have to take a different course of action--they didn't tell me what that would be. Because it is not a weight bearing bone it should heal pretty easily.

It seems like when nothing else can go wrong, it does. So, one case of pneumonia, one case of influenza and one broken leg....this week! We have had a record number of doctor visits, tests, xrays, prescriptions in the last few days.


This kind of shows and explains what the fibula actually does.....

Bones of the Leg



The human leg includes all the bones between the hipbone and the foot. The large bone at the top of the leg is the femur (thighbone), which is the strongest bone of the body. The femur has a rounded head that fits into a socket in the hipbone to form a ball-and-socket joint. This joint enables the leg to move freely in almost any direction. At the knee the femur connects to the tibia (shinbone) to form a hinged joint, which permits back-and-forth movement. The joint is protected in front by a small triangular bone, called the patella (kneecap). The tibia is the supporting bone of the lower leg. It is attached via ligaments to a smaller bone called the fibula. The fibula provides an attachment site for leg muscles and does not provide supportive strength for the leg.

So there you have it. A whine session and an anatomy lesson all in one. Aren't you glad you stopped by???

No comments: