Thursday, January 08, 2009

Changes

For me, the start of a new year always feels like a great time for change. For implementing things that have been thought about, but not yet acted upon. I am trying to implement a few self changes with some true action, not just thoughts or words or good intentions.

I am not a goal-setter. I don't think a lot about long-term or the future. Kind of a day-by-day girl. Who says we are guaranteed anything more than that anyway? I thank the Lord for THIS day and I will thank Him for tomorrow if He sees fit that I am here tomorrow. But, this year I have set a few personal goals. Short-term. Small changes. New guidelines for living.

First and foremost, becoming a healthier me. I will not ever go on a "diet" or exercise 'program' again. I have failed at both in the past. BUT, I am committing myself to a lifestyle change that includes much healthier eating habits and a greater committment to fitness. Lifestyle changes that can become a part of the routine, a part of who I am, a part of our family, a welcome part of any day.

Two, being steadfast with constant clarification between 'need' and 'want'. Justifying. Examining. Do I need this or want it???? Do away with many wants. Clear my head of these wants. Be happy where we are at and with what we have. Continue to see how blessed we are. I have a long way to go here.

Three, further inhibiting the collection of stuff. I am growing to dislike 'stuff'. My eyes have been opened to how detrimental 'stuff' can be.

Four, reaching out. Farther. Beyond all borders. Selflessly. Sacrificially. Being on the lookout for ways to give, ways to help. Not being afraid of 'uncomfortable'. Letting God use me in ways that I never have allowed before. Eyes wide open.

These are just a few of the things that I have thought about at this beginning of a new year. It's a lot. I have a long ways to go in many areas. It will be painful at times. But for now, I am making a committment. Hold me accountable...

1 comment:

Cassie said...

only if you hold ME accountable for those same things. my list of "goals" this year looks very similar!