Friday, April 14, 2006

Weather

We are ok. Survived a tornado with no damage to our place. This house has been standing here since 1861--I don't think it is going anywhere. Our buildings are still all intact. We were very lucky. Our power was out for about 6 hours or so--minor in comparison to other areas around us. A neighbor about 2 miles down the road was killed when their home toppled. Several of our neighbors less than a mile away lost their outbuildings. Just down the road about 4 houses or so, neighbor's horses were killed. A lot of trees are down. That was the stuff that Greg knew about this morning before he went to work. I have not been out in the neighborhood at all. I think we'll just stay put this morning--the sky looks pretty ominous again. Counting my blessings this morning....

3 comments:

Cassie said...

sounds like you have lots of them to count. thankful that you and your family are all ok...AND your property! we've had quite a few claims called in here today at work, but i can't imagine what the insurance companies are dealing with in iowa city today!

jody said...

wow, were you guys huddled in the basement? it wasn't so bad here in town. Amazing the difference a couple miles makes. So glad you are all OK!

Heather said...

Creighton was sleeping in his bed, I was painting by the light of a camping lantern and Colby was hanging with me. I didn't realize how bad it was until it was over. I could hear the wind and the hail, but I just assumed it was another spring storm in Iowa.