Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A Unexpected Turn of Events

Colby had a ball game last night. We got home and she jumped out of the car to go let the dog out. Opened the kennel, dog went out, she started to walk to the garage and stumbled and fell. I was just getting out of the car and she stood up screaming, 'look at my arm!!!!!'. I took one look and got the kids back in the car and drove 80mph to Mercy in Iowa City. It was dangling and deformed in several places. I knew immediately that it would require surgery-it was way too twisted to straighten out and cast without it. We got to the ER about 8pm or so and by about 10:30pm she was in surgery getting her bones re-aligned and set (there were 3 breaks). My parents came up to rescue Creighton from the confines of the hospital. Greg came up and stayed until she got out of surgery and settled in her room (midnight). I stayed the night with her and 'slept' in the recliner and watched the nurses in and out of the room every 15 mins all night. She was released this morning and is home recoving and resting.....


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cassie said...

oh my gosh, heather.
poor colby!!! it will definitely be a summer she'll never forget!

broken in THREE places?!? how does that happen?!

it must have been awful. so so sorry...

Keith and Brittny Kura : ) said...

Oh my goodness!!! I am glad to hear she is doing well. Wow I can't believe that it was broken in three places!!!

Beckysblog said...

oh my!!!! That must have been a horrible fall. Poor Colby!